Welcome to my collection of science fiction short stories where you just never know…
For the record, I publish short stories here whenever the mood strikes. There’s no timeline. If you want to be notified when they’re published, do subscribe to the reader group.
- Fountain Lady He hesitated rounding the Confederate monument in Forsyth Park, leaned against the freezing iron picket fence in front of the bust of native son, Colonel Barstow. Looked it squarely in the eye. Pulled his pea-jacket collar up to cover the multicolored woolen scarf against a biting wind driving the foreign snow. Turned his back to …
- We’ll Get Them All Sooner or Later “The sons of bitches took my son but they ain’t taking my mind or my guns,” said George Willems over and over to himself as he methodically packed his black, three-quarter ton pickup with all of the important things in his life. “God damned if I’ll get chipped or let them bastards tell me what to …
- WIP: Global Warming Works In Progress: Global Warming Impact. This note is a rough draft in a larger project. It will change as the project progresses. FYI: this was in reaction to a BBC story about this happening Truth is indeed stranger than fiction. 15 miles from Irkutsk, Siberia a small rodent took advantage of the thawing permafrost to dig her …
- An Excerpt From A Work In Progress: Two Out And Nobody On Base This is an excerpt from a work in progress. It will contain errors and will certainly change before it goes to print. ##### It was just another political speech on an otherwise unremarkable day when the world tilted past the point of no return. Historians would, of course, argue about this in future centuries, but for the …
- Twelve Rules for Teleporting. An ultra-short story but one you should consider carefully if you plan on teleporting in the near future.
- The Nowicki Moment: Every now and then, the world changes and turns upside down.
- A Fragmented Timeline. Every now and then you need to defend yourself
The Future Forward Trilogy
Here are the introductory chapters to the Future Forward Trilogy. If you like them, follow the links to Amazon. If not… (no harm, no foul and neither one of us has wasted money or time.)
10/01/2047 07:30 He’d grown up in this house after his father had died, had felt the city slow down and gasp for life in the heat around it, much like his father had likely died out on that Middle Eastern desert.
12/01/2047 08:00Gwinnett’s executive offices occupied an antebellum, two-story plantation house overlooked the Low Country marshes of South Carolina just across the river from Savannah.
12/01/2047 08:15 Fifteen minutes later, the men watched as Sarah strode into Gwinnett’s office. A three-inch shorter version of her father, but with her mother’s sky-blue eyes and blonde hair, she’d joined the company after several duty tours in the Air Force. The penetrating smell of jet fuel cleared out Gwinnett’s sinuses.
Flee or Kill
13/05/2167 15:00:00It was the third day, and the runner had set a distance record and had not been seen, much less shot, by the Chase Team. Drones broadcast across the Corporate nets, thousands of people watched his every move, tracked his biometrics, and placed bets on all possible aspects of his success or failure.
13/05/2167 15:02:00“Change views to multiple-timeline vids. Correlate response rates and marketing numbers to highest-action chase vids. Put vids with both high city response rates and high marketing numbers onto centre point of screen.” A chopping motion of George Carpenter’s hand confirmed the action, and the high-intensity, 3-D screens covering two of his office walls showed the new data.
13:05:2167 19:00:00“The large room modeled itself on an old saloon, complete with round tables seating 10 people, sawdust on the floor and waitresses in long skirts. A country rock group pounded out song after song that all sounded the same to the uninitiated. But eventually every person in the bar nodded and tapped along with the beat as they talked or danced. The music got into your head and worked its way to your feet and soul.
The Captain and his Team occupied the table of honor on the slightly raised V.I.P. platform just off to the side of the band. While the Captain was regularly invited to join whatever group occupied the table, the owner had, after a quick call from the Captain, reserved it solely for his Team.